1.6K views

I have had the great displeasure of purchasing two cats from Rhonda at Texas Rexes.Not only did both of my cats test positive for worms (when first bringing them home) they both have little to NO curl in their coats.

She says they offer a health guarantee but it is not in writing. They over breed all of their cats and are just looking to turn a profit. It is sad that this breed of cat is already going down this path. Skip texas rexes and rexes r us.

The lady who is now breeding the rexes r us cats used to breed together.Look else where for a healthy cat!

Had an Experience with TexasRexes?

Comments

Grapevine, Texas, United States #1305715

Maybe my opinion doesn't count as much because I haven't yet gotten a cat from Texas Rexes.However, I went to my first cat show the other day, and met Rhonda and the two Cornish kittens she had brought.

I believe both placed well, and they were amazingly sweet and loving. We talked about her price (which is indeed INCREDIBLY reasonable), and the fact that she doesn't charge much because she does this for the promotion of the breed. Both kittens had lovely fur. (My only surprise at meeting them was that my research didn't show me how TINY Cornish Rexes are!) She was extremely kind to me, even though I explained to her that it will be a couple of years before I'll be able to get a kitten from her (or anyone else).

As for the breeder vs.

rescue war, I realize it's very bitter, but it's also very complicated. Every animal I have EVER had has been a rescue (and that is a lot of animals, through the years), and though I had planned a few years ago to get a particular breed of dog, I ended up getting another rescue instead. So I understand the importance of rescuing abandoned or otherwise unwanted animals. On the other hand, reputable breeders are NOT in it for the money; they are in it because they value the preservation of whichever breed they devote themselves to.

And THAT IS THE ARGUMENT - whether to support the preservation of the breed or to go with a rescue that needs a home. There are many, many strong opinions on both sides. The thing...

Just because someone is doing something you don't like doesn't mean they aren't doing it the right way.These accusations don't help the rescue-animal cause; they simply hurt people who ARE reputable breeders and not "low lifes".

San Antonio, Texas, United States #1243401

I adopted a cat from a local animal shelter that I suspect has a lung fungus and even though she is not showing symtoms of the fungus, she can shed it in her ***...my Cornish Rex just died from a lung fungus that I suspect he contacted from this rescue.NO MORE RESCUES!!!!

My rescue dog died of cancer!!!I will go to cat breeders to pick out my next companion; not Rhonda, of TexasRexas, my vet told me to stay away from her.

so what if the curls arnt as curly as breed standard.adopt a cat and give it a good home.

just love the little darlings or pay the high price and get yourself a show quality cat, if looks are really that important to you :( we adopted 8 Cornish Rex cats from animal shelter at shelter price, very affectionate . two of our adopted CORNISH Rex cats are deaf, and one REX ONLY HAS ONE EYE.

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF SO FOCUSED ON LOOKS.SHAME ON YOU!!!...

It is people like you that keep these catteries and dog breeders in business.If you would go to the rescues or shelters to get pets, these people would have to stop.

So getting mad because they do not have "curly hair" seems absolutely ridiculous!I blame people like you for these low lives in business.

Agree with the above poster.We too had a bad experience with Texas Rexes.

It's sad to see this majestic, unique breed taking a downward spiral in the hands of these "Kitty Mill" operations. .

Similarly, we also had a friend who purchased from Rexes R Us and encountered a multitude of health issues with their kitten.Devastating to see a family fall head over heels in love with a new family pet only to be confronted with serious and expensive health issues.

Hmmmmm....I have a beautiful, happy, healthy girl I got from Texas Rexes last year ....Her cats are not overbred ...

They are well cared for and lovingly socialized.I would not hesitatè to get a kitten from her ....and am getting another!

We have gotten two adult cats from her and both have heart issues

to Luvmerexes Topeka, Kansas, United States #861185

I also have a cat from texasrexes,got him back home to kansas and found he had a heart murmur,later found out he also has an enlarged heart,we now have to give him atenolol and another medication twice a day.His condition is not getting better.Are cat to has very little curl to his hair,we have had a rex in the past we got in phx az,no health problems lived to be 21yrs and had that distinct curl to his coat.I would not recommend texasrexes!

to Luvmerexes #1165066

heart murmurs seem to be quite common with the Cornish Rex breed, just ask a VET.or read online CORNISH REX HEALTH.

I got my Cornish Rex cats from local animal shelter 4 out of my 8 have heart murmur grade 2 and grade 4.my VET TOLD ME HEART MURMUR is Common WITH THE Cornish REX BREED.

I also purchased a kitten from Texasrexes.Although she is a very sweet cat she is almost as naked as a Sphinx cat.

In other words, she does not have a curly coat or much hair at all.I can't recommend this cattery.